Where the Bluebird Sings

A Wildlife Journal for North Carolina

Sunday, April 12, 2009

It Works

“There’s a cat and a bird in the basement,” Dave said, softly closing the basement door behind him.

“A cat? A bird?” It took me a minute to comprehend why he was standing in front of me calmly explaining he had left both predator and prey alone. I had visions of opening the door and finding feathers floating through the air.


I was relieved when all I saw was the neighbor’s cat, Pumpkin, sitting at the bottom of the steps, hoping she could convince me to open a can of Mariner’s Catch. She seemed oblivious to the Carolina wren flittering around in the unfinished half of the room. Both had come in through the door I left ajar after hanging laundry outside.

I quickly scooted Pumpkin out the door and tried to recall what the wildlife books say about birds that suddenly find themselves indoors. “Turn out the light,” I told Dave. We were left in darkness except for a swath of sunlight that shone weakly through the dirt-streaked window. Dave opened the window, and in less than 30 seconds the wren had flown out and landed in a tree, fluffing its feathers as though trying to shake off the whole experience.

The books were right. If a bird gets in your house, make the room as dark as possible, and open either a window or door. The bird will seek the light.

It’s advice I’ve given to people who call the wildlife rehab hotline. Still, it’s gratifying to see that it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home