Where the Bluebird Sings

A Wildlife Journal for North Carolina

Sunday, February 03, 2008




New Arrivals

I saw my first baby squirrel of the season yesterday. It’s what we call a “pinky” because it lacks fur.
This one is about a week old. It was caught by a cat, so it will have to be treated with antibiotics because the bacteria in a cat’s mouth can be deadly.
Squirrels usually have two litters a year. The first litters are born between February and April; the second litters from July through September.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Taylor said...

Hi, good luck with "Pinky."
This is fascinating information. For one thing, it confirms what I've heard for years: that cat bites can be dangerous. My grandmother was almost deathly ill once from a cat bite. I always wash thoroughly if one of our cats even scratches me.
Also, these are cool facts on wildlife, that squirrels have two litters a year and when. A quick Google says there are 2-5 or 2-4 babies in a litter. I wonder if squirrels mate for life.
There's a lot of information like this in one of my favorite books, oddly enough, a novel. It's called "Wild Season" and it's chock-full of cool biological facts, and yet, if you're into wildlife, it's a page-turner - doggone near a thriller. Author: Allan W. Eckert.
Thanks, Brenda, for the report, and keep us posted on Pinky.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Brenda Hiles said...

I've put "Wild Season" on my reading list.
Squirrels don't mate for life. The female takes care of the babies by herself.
It's amazing something that small can survive.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home